Car Insurance Articles
By: Anthony M. Peck
Posted on: Nov 19, 2009 - 7:07:44 PM
Frequently Asked Questions About Your Indiana Car Insurance
Questions, questions, questions. So many questions, and never any answers. That's how you can feel sometimes when you go digging for information on your Indiana car insurance coverage-like all you have are questions and there's not an answer to be found.
You shouldn't have to find yourself deciphering riddles or wading through insurance-speak to figure out what's going on. That's why we took the time to put together a quick guide to the most frequently asked questions in about your Indiana insurance.
1) Do I have to have car insurance? According to the state of Indiana yes,
2) What happens if I don't want to buy Indiana car insurance coverage? It's never a good idea to go cruising around without insurance. That sort of thing gets really expensive, really fast-expensive enough to make your car insurance rates look like penny ante. That said, if you really don't want to spend the money for even minimum liability coverage…too bad. To the best of my knowledge Indiana isn't one of the states where you can pay an exorbitant fee each year to cruise the highways uninsured.
3) How much coverage do I need? We already talked about the minimum liability car insurance limits in Indiana, but I've said it before and I'll say it again-just enough usually isn't enough. The experts say you should be cruising with at least $100,000 per person, $300,000 per incident and $100,000 in property damage liability, and you should put some serious thought into adding comprehensive and collision coverage to your policy. I'm also fairly certain that Indiana requires you to carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your policy-you're going to want to anyway, since numbers show that uninsured drivers on the Indiana highways are at an all time high.
4) What happens if I'm caught driving without insurance? Indiana is quick to smack down on drivers driving without insurance. If you're caught, especially if you were in the process of committing a traffic violation at the time, you can expect to kiss your license goodbye for up to 30 days. Get caught more than once and you could be looking at a full year's suspension. It's not pretty. Don't do it.
5) Where should I set my car insurance deductibles? I hear this one a lot from confused drivers. We talked about this in another article (feel free to check it out) but for now I'm just going to say that you shouldn't set your deductibles any higher than you can afford. You can save 10% or more on your Indiana car insurance rates by raising your deductibles, but you're going to have to come up with that money on a moment's notice. Don't squeeze yourself between a rock and a hard place by setting them too high.
Don't hesitate to ask your Indiana car insurance agent if you have any more questions. It's what they're there for.